One of the multiple choice questions in a book I was reading was as follows:

1. まどを_____.
  2. はい、おねがいします。

a) 開けましょうか
    b) 開けてもいいですか
    c) 開けなさい
    d) 開けてくれませんか

I selected b) as the answer, but the given correct choice was a).

I can see why a) would be a more natural fit than b), but could they both be considered correct? My translation for the dialogue was essentially: 'Is it okay if I close the window?' 'Yes, thanks', but would this seem unnatural/wrong in the context?

| improve this question | | | | |

Firstly 開ける means 'open' not 'close'. I'm sure that was just a slip, but I wanted to make sure.

Option a) is 'Shall I open the window?'. You are offering a service to another person so 'yes please' would be a natural response.

Option b) is 'Is it okay if I open the window?'. In this case you are seeking permission to do something for your own benefit, so 'yes please' doesn't seem like a good match to this question.

In summary a) seems like the only natural answer.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • Ah, that was a silly slip, too much focus on getting the Japanese characters right. :) – Beast-a-tron Jan 22 at 18:29

While it probably wouldn’t be the right choice in a multiple choice exam, (b) is also fine — it just requires that the responder is trying to emphasize that they are not just giving permission, but if anything are being done a favor. This sort of reframing is quite common because it can be seen as humbling (in the sense of “who am I to give permission”), which is fairly core to Japanese conversation dynamics. Though もちろん(です)、お願いします might be a little better for this since it more fully reframes (although it depends on the relationship).

| improve this answer | | | | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.