Both #らーめん and #らーぬん hashtags lead me to ramen posts. I'm aware that Ramen is called #らーめん. But what is #らーぬん?

Legend has it that a long ago, a prankster saw the sign that read 「らーめん」 in front of a tiny restaurant while walking down the street.

"What a boring sign! Think I'm gonna spice it up a bit.", thought the prankster. He took his permanent marker out of his North Face backpack and changed the hiragana 「め」 to a 「ぬ」 on the sign. "らーん! Damn, am I creative!", he murmured.

Two days later, the dude decided to go check the sign that he had worked on. The sign had been re-painted in katakana this time -- 「ラーメン」. "The owner must have thought that would prevent the same kinda prank from happening again. Is he kiddin'?", the prankster said to himself, shaking his head. With a marker, he quickly altered the 「メ」 to a 「ヌ」 this time. "ラーン! That's much better!"

Incredibly, this two-kana-system-cat-and-mouse game lasted over six months until the owner finally decided, in distress, to take the ramen out of the "メヌー" (Pun #1). Needless to say, this historical incident took place in Hirakata, Osaka (Pun #2).

Note: I admit unwillingly that the last paragraph is my own creation, but the rest of the information is all over the internet if you search in Nagoya dialect.

how to search in Nagoya dialect? :) – Igor Skochinsky Jan 22 at 23:33
  • Hirakata って何のシャレか、数日わからんかって、今気づいた・・ ひらがなとかたかな? – Chocolate Jan 26 at 1:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.