I was reading a Japanese version of 日常{にちじょう} where one of the main characters Yuuko is writing notecards for her English exam the next day (which she had not studied for). As she was translating “forever,” she said 永久{とわ} where I would have said 永遠{えいえん}. Is there a difference? Thank you!

Highly related: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/3104/… – l'électeur Jan 21 at 16:34
    永久 is normally read えいきゅう, not とわ. Is the furigana とわ actually on the page? えいきゅう and とわ sound very different, and if a girl like Yukko says とわ, there should be a reason. – naruto Jan 22 at 1:46
  • It is. I’ll see if I can get a pic but that is what she said. – Kurosawa Daiyahoo Jan 23 at 2:23

There is almost no difference. To be exact, 永久 is used for material things while 永遠 is used for abstract notions. For example, 永久 is used for tooth(永久歯). Perpetual motion machine is 永久機関 in Japanese. And for instance 永遠 is used for time(時間).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.