Context:http://mangalifewin.takeshobo.co.jp/rensai/yo-jolife/yo-jo-009/21349/
I try search "どゃでぇ" in Google just get almost nothing. enter image description here

The どゃ portion

Notice that the や is basically the same font size as the ど. This is not どゃ, where the small ゃ is meant to indicate a palatalized glide attaching to the consonant of the previous mora, but rather どや. I'm vaguely familiar with the adverb どやどや used to describe lots of people milling or rushing about; I wonder if it's used here to indicate the focus of the "camera" rushing towards the character.

Update: As explained by Chocolate in the comments, this どや is not from どやどや, but rather from the Kansai-ish どや that is equivalent to Kanto どうだ, as used in the expression どや顔【がお】. Literally "how's-that face", it's a bit like the English expression "how ya like (it / that / me) now", also used to indicate smug self-satisfaction.

The でぇ portion

I'm not sure about the でぇ portion. I suspect this is used to highlight the self-satisfied smug expression on the character's face, but that is only my intuition.

The でぇ portion appears to be the extended version of sentence-final で, the Kansai-ben equivalent to Kantō-ben emphatic sentence-final particle よ.

Reference Links

Any comments to clarify or correct the above would be most welcome.

| improve this answer | |
    「どや[顔]{がお}」の「どや」(←「どうだ、すごいだろう」って意味)でしょうねえ・・絵から見て。。 – Chocolate Jan 21 at 16:52
    Couldn't でぇ in this context then be the Kansai-equivalent to the emphatic particle よ? (see e.g. ガキの使いやあらへんで!) – Boolicious Feb 20 at 20:19
    Boolicious, 疑問詞に関西弁の「で」は付かないので、「どや+関西弁『で』」にはならないと思います。(「どう+よ?」「どこ+よ?」「なに+よ?」「誰+よ?」はいいのにねえ。) – Chocolate Feb 21 at 0:36
    う~ん・・「どう+や+で。」「どこ+や+で。」「なん+や+で。」「誰+や+で。」はアカンなあ・・・ 「どうやねん/どやねん」「どこやねん」「なんやねん」「誰やねん」はええねんけど。関西弁で、疑問文は「で」で終わらへんねん。(「どうだよ」「どこだよ」「なんだよ」「誰だよ」はいいのにねえ・・・) – Chocolate Feb 21 at 2:41
    関西弁の「どや」っていうのが、近年、関東(全国?)でも俗語で「どや顔」って感じで使われるようになって、この漫画の「どやでぇ」の「どや」も、その俗語の「どや顔」の「どや」なんですけど、この「でぇ」は関西弁の「(~や)でぇ」では(文法的に)ありえないんですが、これを描いた漫画家さんがどういう意図で書かれたのかは、わかんないです。 – Chocolate Feb 22 at 3:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.