Does it exist as such, the double negation of an i-adjective, e.g.: おいしくなくない? I was told that I should use おいしくなく は ない instead. Is that right? Is it a rule? Would it depend on context which was a question like: Are the meals at that restaurant good? Or is it just the style of the person I talked to?

Of course, I could also use e.g. まずくない instead, but this is not the question here.

• なくない? is sometimes used by the young as a tag-question. – Yuuichi Tam Jan 21 at 13:00
  • @Yuuichi Tam - you mean like じゃない? – mic Jan 21 at 13:15
  • Yes, it's a slang. おいしくなくない? (It is not delicious, is it?) – Yuuichi Tam Jan 21 at 13:40
  • @Yuuichi Tam - Don't you mean: She is cute, isn't she? With your translation just ない would be the tag-question and not なくない. – mic Jan 21 at 13:49
  • 彼女はかわいくない?(She is cute, isn't she?) 彼女はかわいくなくない?(She is not cute, is she?). However, adults rarely say the latter. – Yuuichi Tam Jan 21 at 14:07

The double negation of i-adjectives not only exists, but it is quite commonly used among us native speakers when expressing opinions indirectly.

Take 「おいしい」 ("tasty") for example, by far the most common double-negative form would be:

「おいしくなくない」

which means:

"(the food) is okay/passable if not great"

That sounds fairly indirect, doesn't it? The direct phrase would simply be 「まずい」 ("bad-tasting") or 「おいしくない」, which would often be considered too direct for the Japanese taste (pun intended).

We also say:

「おいしくなくない」

which means practically the same thing as 「おいしくなくない」.

I do not think that careful speakers would use 「おいしくなくない」 with no particle between the 「なく」 and 「ない」 to mean the same as the two above. I would, however, not be surprised if I heard it in careless hurried speech.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.