When counting duration in months, is it ~ヶ月間or just ~ヶ月? Example:

• 私はもう六ヶ月ぐらい日本語を勉強しています。
  • ジルと暮らした四ヶ月間

( btw I don't know what the second example means I just took it from my textbook so I would appreciate it if someone could help me translate it 🙏)

Are both of these sentences correct?

Either way is fine. The "rules" regarding this are a bit irregular.

「間{かん}」 optional with:

秒、分、日、月、年

「間」 needed with:

時、週

This is because for instance, 1時 and 1時間 mean completely different things -- "1 o'clock" and "one hour", respectively.

We say something like 「3週連続で」 ("for three consecutive weeks") without a 「間」 as a set phrase, but 「第三週」 means "the third week of a month". Thus, to refer specifically to a period of 3 weeks, we say 「3週間」 virtually every time.

Thus, the sentence:

「私はもう六ヶ月(間)ぐらい日本語を勉強しています。」

= "I have already been studying Japanese for about 6 months."

is correct with or without a 「間」. With it, it sounds slightly more 'formal' or "official", but the difference is not that great.

And the noun phrase:

「ジルと暮らした四ヶ月間(間)」

= "The 4 months that I lived with Jill."

is also correct with or without the 「間」. This is not a sentence. 「ジルと暮らした」 is a relative clause that modifies the 「四ヶ月間」.

• Thank you so much for the detailed explanation =D I kept thinking that the と in the second example means "and" and not "with" – Babana Moisrure Jan 20 at 3:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.