In a Japanese children's book I read:

のりまきみたいに くるまれば ふかふか ふとんに なるんだもん。

For the sake of analysis, I looked up the kanjis (correct me if they're wrong):

海苔巻きみたいに包まればふかふか布団になるんだもん。

From the context, it should mean something along the lines, "I can wrap it up like a Nori roll and it becomes a soft mattress."

However, two things are unclear to me: First, is くるまれば really a form of 包まる? If so, what verb form is it? jisho.org does not have it in its list of inflections. What does this form mean, when do I use it?

Second, what does もん mean? Is it a shortened form of 物? How does this word alter the sentence?

「のりまきみたいに くるまれば ふかふか ふとんに なるんだもん」

Since more context was definitely needed to discuss this sentence, I searched and found out here that this is about a girl with extremely long black hair. That piece of information is of much importance and the preceding sentence is:

「そとにだって ねられるの。」

Using kanji, we have:

「外にだって寝られるの。のり巻きみたいに包まればふかふかふとんにになるんだもん。」

The 「もん/もの」 should be written in kana because it is a sentence-ending particle meaning roughly "because".

First, is くるまれば really a form of 包まる? If so, what verb form is it?

「包まれば」 is simply the conditional form of 「包まる」 meaning "if I am wrapped up". It is used when talking hypothetically about getting wrapped up in something. In this case, that something is the girl's own long hair. See what I mean when I say I could never have answered this (seemingly simple) question without more context?

My own TL:

"I can even sleep outside. (That's because) if I am wrapped up in (my long hair) like a sushi roll, it turns into a fluffy futon."

• Yes, it's exactly that story. ありがとうございました。 – digory doo Jan 17 at 14:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.