The scene: A boy plays a ghita on the street to earn money then a bunch of yakuzas show up. They steal his ghita and say:

Yakuza1: "わしらのしま で. 何 勝手しとんじゃい" (This is our turf. You think you can do whatever you like?)

Yakuza2:"ショバ代払えね ならよォー 足りねー分は"

The yakuza 2 being hit by someone right after saying the sentence.

Does the sentence of the yakuza 2 means " If you pay for protection, you don't have enough minute..." Or " You must pay us money for protection. If you don't have enough minute...?

• Could you explain in more detail which parts you understand and which you don't? Your translation is giving some hints, but it appears to be a loose translation, so it's not clear if you understood the individual parts of the sentence, like 払えね or よォー or 足りねー etc. (Maybe you could also include more context or a picture.) – Earthliŋ Jan 17 at 11:38
  • I just edited. I know the part "ショバ代払えね" but I don't know the rest. I think 足りねー分 is 足りない分 – Khang Jan 17 at 12:15

ショバ代払えね ならよォー 足りねー[分]{ぶん}は

The [分]{ぶん} is not "minute" ([分]{ふん/ぷん}) but "amount", "part".

払えねなら (払えねーなら) means 払えないなら, "if you can't pay".

You're right that 足りねー分 is 足りない分, literally "the amount that's not enough" → the rest of the payment, remaining bill, or shortfall, deficit.

"If you can't pay for protection, the remaining amount..." [the sentence is cut off]

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.