Context: http://mangalifewin.takeshobo.co.jp/rensai/yo-jolife/yo-jo-008/21231/

Does "ん" really have a dakuten version?

enter image description here

My Research:

So my reasearch has been a little bit unusual for this one, but I found the following from reddit's r/learnjapanese:

Dakuten/handakuten on kana where they would normally not be found can imply a muffled, nasal, or slurred sound.

I also found some sources on this stack exchange as well. Their question was about dakuten being applied to あ.

As @naruto notes:

あ゛ used to be commonly used in manga to express an exclamation — "aagh!" or something like that. I feel it has become less common (if not rare) these days. え゛、い゛、お゛、の゛ and so on are sometimes used in a similar way. You may see them in casual blogs and tweets, but never in formal documents.

On Wiktionary, I found that ん゙ can signify a guttural "hmmm?"

Finaly, on Wikipedia, I found the following:

In informal writing, dakuten is occasionally used on vowels to indicate a shocked or strangled articulation; for example, on あ゙ or ゔ. Dakuten can also be occasionally used with ん (ん゙) to indicate a guttural hum, growl, or similar sound.

My conclusion:

I believe that you're looking at something that is informal. For the most part, it looks like someone is saying "hmmm?" in a guttural, excited, or muffled matter, depending on the context.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.