I am playing the eroge Tsui no Sora and have come across a passage containing this word:

当たり前だがノストラダムスの大予言なんて出来の悪い妄想だ。

まともに考えれば小学生にすらわかる事。

だがそんな事は重要じゃない。

[Nostradamus' prophecy is an amateur delusion; even an elementary schooler could work it out if they gave it some serious thought; but that isn't important]

重要な事は、それを信じる人間にとってそれが本当たりえる事だ。

"What is important, is that for the people who believe it, it is true"

This is what I believe it should translate to, but even searching 本当たり gets no results on Google. My vague guess it is combination of 本 + 当たる + える but other than 当たる and 本当 meaning something along the lines of 'it fits' or 'truth', I cannot parse it.

Could someone break this down for me please? I can provide more of the text before the passage if there is still not enough context.

「重要な事は、それを信じる人間にとってそれが本当たりえる事だ。」

I am finding two issues with the phrase 「本当たりえる」.

1) the poor, casual word choice of 「本当」 and

2) the substandard reading of 「たりえる」

It would be a considerably more normal and acceptable phrase if:

1) 「本当」 were replaced by a less informal 「真実」 and

2) 「たりる」 by 「たりる」

Using kanji, it is 「足り得る」 meaning "to be equal to", "to be comparable to", "to be just as good as".

Thus, my own phrase choice would be 「真実たりる」 or 「真実足り得{う}る」.

With these alterations, the sentence in question could more naturally mean:

"What is important, is the fact that for the people who believe (Nostradamus), it is as good as true"

What is substandard and deviant about たりえる? Also, isn't this the auxiliary たる, not the verb 足る? – goldbrick Jan 10 '20 at 22:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.