A disaster warning app asks me whether I want notifications for 警報 or for 注意報 or both.

First I signed up for both, but it sends me notifications about inconsequential things such as air dryness. So I would like to receive notifications only for the most dangerous stuff like powerful typhoons.

Which is most critical? 警報 or 注意報?

Both translate to "warning" in my dictionary.

In the weather warning context, 警報 is more critical than 注意報. Currently the Met Agency defines three alert levels: 特別警報, 警報, and 注意報, for each translated by them Emergency Warning, Warning, and Advisory. They are usually painted with purple, red, and yellow colors on a map.

Also see: Forecast Services (the JMA site)

Some additional information that the OP might find helpful: The Kanji "警" means warn, whereas "注意" means notice. "特別" from "特別警報" in this answer means special. I would assume that a special warning is higher priority than a warning, which in turn is higher priority than a notice. – DaoWen Jan 6 at 19:01

警 means "Warning" or "caution"; 注意 means "Attention" ;報 means a "report" or "Notice"

I am trying to provide a word-by-word break down to give you more insights, hope it helps :)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.