I've always heard a lot of Japanese people pronounce ありがとう as ありがとう{LHHHH}, but I've never actually seen anyone talk about it on the Internet.

People always say ありがとう should be pronounced ありがとう{LHLLLL} in standard speech, which obviously I hear a lot, but I also hear a lot of speakers of Standard Japanese pronounce it as an unaccented word, so I definitely think it's not dialectal. (I even hear ありがとう{LHHLL} a lot of the time).

Is it pronounced unaccented because it's a shortening of the phrase ありがとうございます{LHHHHHHHHLL}?

As far as I'm concerned, the phrase can be pronounced two ways: with the downstep on ま, or with a downstep on り and then on ま (ありがとうございます{LHLLLLHHHL}).

"I've always heard a lot of Japanese people pronounce ありがとう as [ありがとう]{LHHHH}" -- 関西弁とか? [ありがとう]{LLLHL}!とかも言うよね。 – Chocolate Jan 5 at 0:46
  • @Chocolate 本当に関西弁かな?標準語を話す人もよく言うからね、この ありがとう{LHHHH}。でも、僕ネーティブじゃないから、違うだろう – David M. Seitz Jan 5 at 12:41

I think it depends on the situation. For example, if you are a young woman, and your boyfriend just gave you a ring, you'll probably say something similar to ありがとう{LHHHH}! rather than ありがとう{LHLLL} because it doesn't quite fit with the expected enthusiasm and femininity.

"Neutral" pitch is indeed ありがとう{LHLLL} IMO in 標準語. In Kansai it is ありがとう{LLLHL}.

| improve this answer | |
  • This perfectly answers my question! Thank you! I forgot to mention that I mostly heard this heibangata ありがとう from women who received compliments and stuff like that, so it makes sense now. – David M. Seitz Jan 5 at 20:00
    Interesting! Is this an instance of something more general — does neutralising pitch accent in any other words have a similar effect — or is it particular to ありがとう? – jogloran Jan 6 at 5:55
    I'd say it's general (e.g. if you say おはよう really enthusiastically it will sound おはよう{LHHH} instead of おはよう{LHHL}) @jogloran – Enno Shioji Jan 6 at 17:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.