What exactly is the difference between やめろい and やめろ?

Is this い the same as the one used to strenghten assertions and statements like the い used in the sentence-final かい, だい, and がい? Can it be used with every other verb in its imperative form?

Lastly, is this やめろい common at all? I assume it's a little less common than やめろ since it probably sounds quite rude.

Yes, this い is the same as い as in だい or がい. From 明鏡国語辞典 第二版:

終助

① 《質問の文の後に付いて》くだけた調子で、親しみの意をこめる。 「これは何じゃい」「もう少し待ってみるかい?」

② 《肯定や命令の文の後に付いて》意味を強める。 「早くしろい」「いやだい、ぼくがやるんだい」

【語法】 助動詞「だ」「じゃ」などに付いた「だい」「じゃい」、終助詞「か」「わ」「な」に付いた「かい」「わい」「ない」、動詞の命令形に付いた「ろい」などの形で使う。

In modern Japanese, Definition ② (non-questioning sentence-end い, such as やめろい or 本当だい) is not common at all. If I understand it correctly, it's an old-fashioned, unsophisticated and shitamachi-like way of speaking, and you'll see it used mainly in manga/dramas set up in the early/middle Showa period (e.g., サザエさん, じゃりン子チエ). In fantasy works, you may hear it used by male speakers living in rural areas speaking in a curt manner, e.g., a dwarf blacksmith.

I believe it works with the imperative form of almost any verb (よく見ろい, さっさと寝ろい, 急げい, どけい, 行けい, はやくしろい, ...), but 来い is an exception. It sounds like you are urging someone.

い at the end of a question, such as 食べるかい or 調子はどうだい, is also rare in reality, but it's common among modern adult speakers in fiction. See: In what situation can I use ~かい (for interrogative question)?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.