For junction I know of 交差点 but is that only for traffic junctions or can it be used generally, say, in a mall when the path splits 3 ways or more in front of you.

1 Answer 1

I think it would be called a 分岐点{ぶんきてん}. In addition to physical path splits, it's often used to indicate turning points abstractly (like a turning point in your life etc).

EDIT: As @Flaw mentions, this word may not be the best to describe the situation in casual spoken language. A more casual way you could express this is 分かれ{わかれ}道{みち}. However, even though one could describe using both of those words how to navigate to a specific location via an intersection/a path split (分岐点/分かれ道を右に行く), it might be better to be more detailed. For example to express turning right at the first intersection in a キ shaped intersection (キ-shaped probably isn't a real word), you might say:

まっすぐに行って、最初の十字路を右に行く

Here's an excerpt from research done by the Japan Tourism Agency: enter image description here

And here are some other usages I found: enter image description here

enter image description here

Would 分岐点 in usual daily conversation be natural? Like say when giving or receiving directions to a place. I ask because it's a research article, and I don't know if the same word is used in a colloquial setting
    – Flaw
    Jan 3, 2020 at 17:18
  • Mighty thanks Ringil! That certainly seems more like it. Unlike Kousaten which is just fills Google Images with road junctions. The research article is interesting too!
    – shoryuu
    Jan 4, 2020 at 13:14
  • @Flaw Good point! I'll add a bit about that.
    – Ringil
    Jan 4, 2020 at 22:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .