For junction I know of 交差点 but is that only for traffic junctions or can it be used generally, say, in a mall when the path splits 3 ways or more in front of you.


I think it would be called a 分岐点{ぶんきてん}. In addition to physical path splits, it's often used to indicate turning points abstractly (like a turning point in your life etc).

EDIT: As @Flaw mentions, this word may not be the best to describe the situation in casual spoken language. A more casual way you could express this is 分かれ{わかれ}道{みち}. However, even though one could describe using both of those words how to navigate to a specific location via an intersection/a path split (分岐点/分かれ道を右に行く), it might be better to be more detailed. For example to express turning right at the first intersection in a キ shaped intersection (キ-shaped probably isn't a real word), you might say:


Here's an excerpt from research done by the Japan Tourism Agency: enter image description here

And here are some other usages I found: enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 2
    Would 分岐点 in usual daily conversation be natural? Like say when giving or receiving directions to a place. I ask because it's a research article, and I don't know if the same word is used in a colloquial setting
    – Flaw
    Jan 3 '20 at 17:18
  • Mighty thanks Ringil! That certainly seems more like it. Unlike Kousaten which is just fills Google Images with road junctions. The research article is interesting too!
    – shoryuu
    Jan 4 '20 at 13:14
  • @Flaw Good point! I'll add a bit about that.
    – Ringil
    Jan 4 '20 at 22:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.