From what I know, ので differs to から grammatically because you add a な after な-adjectives for ので. For example:

その人は意地悪{いじわる}なので、嫌{きら}いです。- I do not like that person because they are mean.

But what would the past tense of this sentence be? Would it be:

その人は意地悪{いじわる}だったので、嫌{きら}いです。- I do not like that person because they WERE mean.

Is the な before ので necessary for past tense adjectives? I couldn't really find anything after googling. How does this work?

な is the attributive form of the copula だ (plain form of です). It is what だ becomes when that part of the sentence moves from the predicative position to form a relative clause (sometimes called an adjective clause because it functions like an adjective):

• 部屋がきれいだ - The room is clean
  • きれいな部屋 - A clean room

There is no requirement for だ→な for sentences ending in verbs (not ending in だ) for the verb to form a relative clause. There is no need to insert a な here because だ was not there to become な. Inserting な would be grammatically wrong. The predicative form and the attributive form looks the same for verbs:

• この手紙はペンで書いた - This letter was written by a pen
  • ペンで書いた手紙 - A pen-written letter

The past tense (or perfective aspect) of だ is だった. Even though だ→な when changing from predicative to attributive, だった remains as だった. There is no need to insert a な here either. Inserting な here would be grammatically wrong:

• 部屋が静かだった - The room was quiet
  • 静かだった部屋 - The room that was quiet

What precedes ので has to end in attributive form:

• Verb: するので
  • Verb(past): したので
  • i-adj: 高いので
  • i-adj(past): 高かったので
  • na-adj: 静かなので
  • na-adj(past): 静かだったので
  • noun: 学生なので
  • noun(past): 学生だったので

So finally in your sentence:

その人は意地悪だったので、嫌いです。 (☓)

There is no need to insert there since だった is already the correct form.

• +1, but when you say "there is no need to ..." it admits the possibility that adding な might be permissible even if it is not needed. I think it would be safer to make clear that, not only is it not needed, it is not grammatical. Dec 31 '19 at 16:06
  • @user3856370 I can see how it might mean that. I wouldn't say that it admits that possibility. I'd say it does not preclude that possibility.
    – Flaw
    Dec 31 '19 at 16:12
  • I thought those two meanings were the same. Anyway, I'm not going to quibble over English in a Japanese language site :-) Dec 31 '19 at 16:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.