I'm trying to find an expression akin to a "gem" in English (as defined by the OALD here):

This picture is the gem (= the best) of the collection.

While 宝石{ほうせき} is the literal translation of the word, I wonder if there is a word that resembles something that is special in the Japanese Language.

While not the same as "masterpiece", by searching this term I have come across words such as 絶品{ぜっぴん} and 名曲{めいきょく} (this one fitting the object I'm trying to define, since it's music), but I am not sure to what extent they relate to the meaning I'm trying to get from the word nor how common they actually are in the language.

There are a few words I can recommend.

「珠玉{しゅぎょく} + の + [Noun]」

If you are referring to a photo, for instance, then 「珠玉の一枚{いちまい}」 would be an excellent phrase choice (provided that the rest of your writing is as natural-sounding and refined).

「[Noun] + は + 逸品{いっぴん}である」

↑ This one is pretty versatile, too.

「最高{さいこう}の ( or 特別{とくべつ}な) + 一枚」

↑ Even more versatile, but lacks the elegance of the first phrase above.

「絶品{ぜっぴん}」 is certainly a possibility, but you should know that it is most often used to describe food items these days.

「名曲{めいきょく}」, as you stated, can only refer to a song or piece of music. You can say 「珠玉の一曲{いっきょく}」 to refer to a masterpiece of an album or the artist him/herself.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.