As far as I know, forms like 「てしょうがない」 and 「てしかた(が)ない」 means something like "very, extremely" and "can't be helped", like:

心配する理由はなかったけど、どうしても不安でしかたなかった: I didn't have any reason to worry, but I couldn't help be uneasy

Then I found this sentence:

そんな本は読んでも仕方がない

which was translated as "You shouldn't read a book like that", while I translated it as "I can't help reading a book like that"; there is no context, it's an example sentence from a grammar.

I know those form can also mean "There is no point in doing something", but I'm not sure how to discriminate between those meanings. After reasearching a bit, I thought the difference was in the 「も」: 「てしかたがない」, "I can't help but"; 「てもしかたがない」, "I shouldn't". The again, I just found this sentence:

こんな酔っぱらいと時間をつぶしたってしょうがない

which to me sounds like "I couldn't help wasting time with such a drunkard", while it was translated as "I shouldn't have wasted time with such a drunkard", without having 「も」. I'm wondering if 「たって」 is a colloquial form for 「ても」: I know some time ago I found such a case, but I can't find it anymore.

I found some questions here about these forms, but nothing addressing this; in my grammar and on the Internet all I can find are the meaning I gave above, with no explanation about the "You shouldn't" meaning. I did find this page, in which there are examples like 「まだ証明されていないことを考えてみても仕方がないぜ」, translated as "Do not spend thoughts on a matter which has not been proved", which seems to prove my point, since it does have 「も」.

Am I missing something? Am I right in my 「てしかたがない」, "I can't help but"; 「てもしかたがない」, "I shouldn't" interpretation? Is it just depending on context?

I think you're right. ~てしょうがない/~てしかたない (without も) can mean "(I) can't help but...", and ~てしょうがない/~てしかたない, "(You) shouldn't..."

And you're also right that ~~たって (<た+とて) is a colloquial way of saying ~~ても, "even if".

So these phrases are literally like...

• [感情・感覚を表す表現(phrase expressing feeling or emotion)] + て(で) + しかた(が)ない/しょうがない/しようがない (or たまらない/ならない)
    → "I want/feel... + and + nothing can be done about it (←the feeling)." → "I can't help feeling..."

• ~て/~たって + しかた(が)ない/しょうがない/しようがない
    → "Even if (I/you) do~~, + nothing can be done about it (←the situation)." → "There's no point in doing..."

Examples:

• 心配で仕方なかった。 I couldn't help worrying. / I was really worried. 
  • 心配して仕方ない。 There's no point in worrying. / Don't worry.
  • あの本が読みたくてしょうがない。
    I can't help but want to read that book. / I wanna read that book so bad.
  • そんな本、読んだってしょうがないよ。
    There's no point in reading a book like that. / You shouldn't read a book like that.
|improve this answer|||||
    ~ても仕方がない can also mean "may/might well do..." (≂ ~のも無理はない) eg 「疑われても仕方がない。」 – Chocolate Dec 30 '19 at 6:11
  • To discriminate between "Shouldn't" and "Might well do" one has to see the context? – Mauro Dec 30 '19 at 9:44
    そうですね。。どちらとも取れる文の場合、最後は文脈で判断するしかないと思います。 – Chocolate Jan 1 at 8:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.