I noticed that particles are sometimes omitted after 何か. Is there a grammatical rule that dictates omission of a particle after 何か or this is just a conversational contraction?
E.g., are the following sentences equivalent?

何か焦げる匂いがしている。
何か焦げる匂いがしている。

• I don't think a particle is even possible with 何か in this particular sentence. – Aeon Akechi Dec 24 '19 at 3:56
  • @AeonAkechi I think 何かの匂い is fine – Ringil Dec 24 '19 at 4:28
    @Akechi, 「何かが焦げる」☜ いいと思いますけど。。「何かがおかしい。」「今夜、何かが起こる!」とかも言いますし – Chocolate Dec 24 '19 at 6:12
  • @Chocolate あ、すみません。「何かいい考えありますか」みたいだと思ったんです。 – Aeon Akechi Dec 24 '19 at 8:30

「何か焦{こ}げる匂{にお}いがしている。」

「何か焦げる匂いがしている。」

These two sentences mean different things and the difference is not a very small one at least in a place like this, if not anywhere else.

In the first sentence, 「何か」 is used as an adverb meaning "somehow", "for some reason", etc. You could not attach a particle to it even if you wanted to.

"There is somehow a burning smell." or

"For some reason, there is a burning smell (around here)."

In the second, 「何か」 is used as a pronoun meaning "something". To a noun or pronoun, you can, of course attach a particle.

"I smell something burning."

One more thing -- the pronunciation.

「何か」 in the first sentence, as an adverb that is, would often be pronounced 「なか」 whereas 「何か」 in the second sentence would generally be pronounced 「なか」 even in informal speech at least by the more careful speakers.

Suggested readings:

I warn you, however, that the author of the "best" answer in the second Q&A above does not appear to be familiar with the adverbial usage of "question word + か" words.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.