One of the joys of taking my dog for a walk here in Japan is the wealth of opportunities for small talk with my fellow dog walkers. However, I find I'm lacking on puppy vocabulary....

この子は神経質【しんけいしつ】なんです。まだ日本に慣【な】れていません。 My boy is very skittish around new people and I have been using this as my explanation for why he doesn't want pets. It's it sensical?

Also,seeing how most dogs in Japan are from pet shops, how would I explain that he is a rescue dog? I've seen 里親【さとおや】used online to reference a person who adopts a dog, but how do I reference the dog?

Thanks! 🐶

• As the talks between us dog owners are often pretty colloquial, I would certainly vote for the 捨て犬 or この犬はもともとすてられた。But, I personally do not often point out the fact [that my 2 dogs are rescue dogs] to the people here, since many people who get their dogs from a pet shop, love them just as much and treat them just as well and at least many of us with rescue dogs, and I think that there is a risk that people think you are bragging about yourself if [at least without being asked] stressing yours are rescue dogs. Although I would like to stop "puppies for sale" being kept in pet shops in Japan!
    – Tuomo
    Dec 27 '19 at 13:58

この子は神経質なんです。 ... My boy is very skittish around new people and I have been using this as my explanation for why he doesn't want pets.

makes sense to me, but I'd say more like:

「すみません、この子、[人見知]{ひとみし}りなもので・・・ (^^;)」

まだ日本に慣れていません。

Do you mean your dog is not accustomed to Japanese people? 外国で生まれ育って、日本に来てからあまり時間が経っていないから、日本人に慣れていない、ということですか?

Also, seeing how most dogs in Japan are from pet shops, how would I explain that he is a rescue dog? I've seen 里親 used online to reference a person who adopts a dog, but how do I reference the dog?

I think "rescue(d) dog" is called [保護犬]{ほごけん}. (If it's not understood I think you could add that it was a [捨]{す}て[犬]{いぬ}, "abandoned dog".) So how about...

「この子は保護犬(or 捨て犬)だったんです。それで、里親として [引]{ひ}き[取]{と}ったんですよ or [譲]{ゆず}り[受]{う}けたんですよ。」
「保護犬(or 捨て犬)だったのを、引き取ったんですよ。」
「保護犬だったんですが、里親になったんですよ。」

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.