I was wondering for this line:

緊張してるの?準備は丸一日しただろう。

Let's say A says this line to B. Does it sound alright id I say:

"You prepared the whole day, didn't you?." (so, why are you nervous?). If I rearrange the sentence as 丸一日準備をしただろう is it the same meaning?

Is 丸一日した an adverb here? Kinda feel that maybe the に particle was left out, is it the case? (the character A who speaks has a colloquial way of talking, with many informal, shortened phrases, so I'm thinking that leaving out some words is appropriate for him).

丸一日した is not an adverb (it clearly includes した which is a verb), but 丸一日 is adverbial. Nothing is omitted after 丸一日 because it works as an adverb on its own. Remember that number + counter works as an adverb that describes an amount in Japanese:

• リンゴを2個買います。
  • 鉛筆を1本ください。

The same goes for a time length:

• 日本に3日滞在しました。
  • 15年間東京に住んでいます。
  • 10分待ってください。

丸一日 is in the same vein. 丸一日準備(は/を/φ)しただろう means the same thing. に is used to describe when something happens (e.g., 1998年に = in 1998; 日曜日に = on Sunday), but it never marks a time length.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.