I've always thought / said that "心底から申し上げる" means "I am saying this with highest level of sincerity (bottom of my heart)"

"心底から申し上げて、お詫びいたします。" I very sorry for what I have done.

Google search says "心底から申し上げる" is used only 650 times, which suggests 心底 and 申し上げる is very rare and not a natural pairing of words.

So, if I want to express that apologies, respect, love, condolences are coming from my "inner most thoughts", "bottom of my heart", "not superficial", is there a word to substitute for "心底"? Is it so context based on each emotion, it is on a case by case basis and there's no simple answer?

And, what impressions does "心底から申し上げて、お詫びいたします。" give?

心底から申し上げて、お詫びいたします。

This is at least grammatical, but sounds like something awkward like "I put it honestly, and (then) I apologize" or "I apologize by saying it from the bottom of my heart".

The common expression is simply 心からお詫びを申し上げます. 心底から/心底より is probably not wrong, but it's much less common than 心から/心より.

| improve this answer | |
  • あっ You beat me! また遅かったぁ・・ – Chocolate Dec 19 '19 at 2:51

心底から申し上げて、お詫びいたします。 sounds unnatural to me, I'm afraid.

I think I'd probably say...

[心]{こころ}より / 心からお詫び申し上げます。

Some other examples:

一日も早い復興を心よりお祈りいたします。
皆様のご健康とご多幸を心よりお祈りいたします。
心より感謝申し上げます。

| improve this answer | |
  • How about 「深く」or「謹んで」? – Halfway Dillitante Dec 20 '19 at 8:56
    @Halfway そうですね、両方使えると思います。「謹んで」 is more like "I humbly..." than "sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, deeply", though. – Chocolate Dec 20 '19 at 16:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.