I am preparing Japanese resume and i want to mention my skills in 特技。Is “勤勉” a correct word to say that i am hard working???

• note "real Japanese resumes" are different that "Japanese translations of English resumes". One thing I remember is you must put a passport-sized photo on the top-right, and the paper size needs to be a4. The "theme" is different from a USA-style. I cannot remember more than that. I'd recommend an English resume, Japanese translation of English resume, a "real" Japanese resume, and a personal "meishi" even if a student (English one side / Japanese the other) for a good first impression "meishi-kokan". – user312440 Dec 18 '19 at 16:33
    As far as a 履歴書 is concerned, I wouldn't consider 'hard-working' to be a 'special skill', more a personality trait or a work ethic. – BJCUAI Dec 18 '19 at 20:13
    You can use 努力家 (I don't know if it's fit for a resume though) I would double check with actual Japanese resume examples to make sure you're heading in the right direction – Jerry Fielder Dec 18 '19 at 20:49

Yes 勤勉 is a common na-adjective that means "hardworking", and you can consider using it in the 自己アピール/自己紹介 section (or something with a similar name).

However, it usually does not count as your 特技 because 特技 refers to some uncommon/special ability. Writing just 勤勉であること or 努力できること in the 特技 section might look as if you were a boring hobbyless person. In your case, probably you can list at least 英語 as your 特技. You can list your other abilities/hobbies such as 野球, 料理, プログラミング, 数学 or whatever that may interest the interviewer. (Well, if you can add some interesting episode that can prove your outstanding hardworking-ness, 勤勉さ or 集中力 might count as your 特技...)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.