I'm in the middle of doing a translation project for a website that has UI elements for filling out forms. The pre-programmed UI has 「ファーストネーム」, but I would think 「名」or「名前」 would make more sense. Which variant sounds more natural in this case?

• Who are the users that will be filling out this form? What does ファーストネーム mean in the context of this UI? I suspect it means "given name" as opposed to "surname or family name". If so, remember that this only makes sense for users from cultures where the given name comes first -- which is not Japan. In the context of official forms, I'm used to seeing 名【な・めい】 for given name and 姓【せい】 for family name. – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 17 '19 at 21:50

In web forms, you can use single-kanji 姓【せい】 ("last/family name") and 名 【めい】("first/given name"). We normally say 名字 and (下の)名前 ("(given) name", literally "bottom name") in most situations, but these are too colloquial in web forms.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.