How do you order someone to turn around in a direct and forceful manner, like the way a police officer or soldier would say? Thank you.


like the way a police officer or soldier would say?

How about...


or maybe something like...

Biff: Just turn around, McFly, and walk away.
ビフ: 回れ右だマクフライ。とっとと消えろ。

  • 1
    I'm intrigued by the 右 part. Is there something culturally significant about turning right rather than left? Dec 15 '19 at 9:22
  • そ~ですねえ・・「回れ左」はないですね~。プログレッシブ和英 で「回れ右」を引くと、《米》About face!《英》About turn! 、でも アルク には right-about-face right-about-turn って書いてありますね。英語には "left-about-face!" "left-about-turn!" があるんでしょうか?
    – Chocolate
    Dec 15 '19 at 9:33
  • I think the 'right-about-face' in アルク is an overly literal translation. I've heard about-face many times in films (never in real life fortunately :-) ), but I don't think I've ever heard right-about-face. Although dictionary.com does have an entry for it (but not for left-about -face). We'd only expect to hear about-face in a military context though. It would be very unusual to hear it from a police officer. Dec 15 '19 at 9:45
  • なんか違うような気がしてきた・・
    – Chocolate
    Dec 16 '19 at 16:39

You could literally just say 「後ろをむけ!」, but I'm not sure if this is what law enforcement or military would use.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.