How do you order someone to turn around in a direct and forceful manner, like the way a police officer or soldier would say? Thank you.


2 Answers 2


You could literally just say 「後ろをむけ!」, but I'm not sure if this is what law enforcement or military would use.


like the way a police officer or soldier would say?

How about...


or maybe something like...

Biff: Just turn around, McFly, and walk away.
ビフ: 回れ右だマクフライ。とっとと消えろ。

  • 1
    I'm intrigued by the 右 part. Is there something culturally significant about turning right rather than left? Dec 15, 2019 at 9:22
  • そ~ですねえ・・「回れ左」はないですね~。プログレッシブ和英 で「回れ右」を引くと、《米》About face!《英》About turn! 、でも アルク には right-about-face right-about-turn って書いてありますね。英語には "left-about-face!" "left-about-turn!" があるんでしょうか?
    – chocolate
    Dec 15, 2019 at 9:33
  • I think the 'right-about-face' in アルク is an overly literal translation. I've heard about-face many times in films (never in real life fortunately :-) ), but I don't think I've ever heard right-about-face. Although dictionary.com does have an entry for it (but not for left-about -face). We'd only expect to hear about-face in a military context though. It would be very unusual to hear it from a police officer. Dec 15, 2019 at 9:45
  • なんか違うような気がしてきた・・
    – chocolate
    Dec 16, 2019 at 16:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .