I was reading something and I came across this sentence:

それだって仕掛ける機会が得られなかったというだけで、殺しそのものを失敗したわけでも証拠を残したわけでもない。

My problem is that I don’t understand what 仕掛ける機会 means in this context. I know that 機会 is something like chance or opportunity, but the verb doesn't make sense to me. Sorry if I can't ask this here.

I don’t understand what 仕掛ける機会 means in this context. ← Where is the context? Had you provided enough context, you would have received a good answer a long time ago. Right now, all anyone can do is guess. – l'électeur Dec 16 '19 at 1:19
  • I add it on YAMA answer, since he asked and I forgot to mention it. – Owen98 Dec 16 '19 at 2:14

仕掛ける means ''challenge'' or ''set traps'', but it's hard to tell which is correct from only this sentence. It's depends on what ''それ(=it)''in sentence is talking about.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Sorry, I forgot to say that, they were talking because they failed to kill a witness and he saw them killing their target. So, the story was explaining that the killer had a lot of skills, and that they hardly ever fail to do it. – Owen98 Dec 14 '19 at 17:39
  • ok then that's 仕掛ける means challenge, and ''仕掛ける機会'' is ''chance to try''(to kill witness). – YAMA Dec 14 '19 at 18:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.