I am not really sure if I understood the following sentence correctly:

「しかも攻撃パワーは並の上といったところ!」

The pattern in bold is what makes me struggle here. I found this explanation of the last part of the sentences https://j-nihongo.com/toittatokoroda/, in which 「といったところ」 was described as being used for expression amounts that are not very high. Judging from that I believe that the amount of power is not exceptionally large here. However, the 「並の上」 would be indecipherable to me without the meaning of 「といったところ」. When checking the dictionary entries I felt like picking exactly what I had to in order to "make the pattern fix the situation".

The problem is matter not very complicated but I feel like I am missing something about the pattern.

1 Answer 1

「しかも攻撃{こうげき}パワーは並{なみ}の上{うえ}といったところ!」

「並{なみ}」 means "average", "regular", etc. Look at the image in this question where the word is used to indicate the regular-size beef bowl.

「並の上」, therefore, means "above average". The connotation often associated with this phrase is "not great", but without further context, I could not tell if that is the case with the sentence in question.

Seeing 「並の上」 in conjunction with 「といったところ」, however, I would tend to think that the speaker is not too impressed by the attack power.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .