I've only ever heard this form be used in the command "待ちな!" (Wait!), but just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what pitch accent rule(s) apply here. I thought I'd heard the above-mentioned phrase be pronounced as まちな{HLL}, but for some reason, that doesn't seem right to me, since this is a shortening of the なさい form, which is always pronounced with a pitch drop on さ. So wouldn't you say まちな{LHH}(さい{HL})? Following that logic, wouldn't you also say 食べな{LHH}?

What rule applies here? Is it the same for all verbs, whether they be accented or unaccented?

this is a shortening of the なさい form, which is always pronounced with a pitch drop on さ. So wouldn't you say [まちな]{LHH}([さい]{HL})? Following that logic, wouldn't you also say [食べな]{LHH}?

You're right. We pronounce the positive imperative 「~~な」 this way:

[まちな]{LHH}。"Wait!"

[たべな]{LHH}。"Eat (it)!"

[いきな]{LHH}。"Go!"

[みな]{LH}。"Look!"

[あきらめな]{LHHHH}。"Give (it) up!"

[やりな]{LHH}。"Do (it)!"

[しな]{LH}。"Do (it)!"

[べんきょうしな]{LHHHHHH}。"Study!"

We don't pronounce 待ちな as [まちな]{HLL}.

I thought I'd heard the above-mentioned phrase be pronounced as [まちな]{HLL}

Maybe you heard 「待な」? The negative imperative 「な」 is pronounced with a low pitch:

[まつな]{HLL}。"Don't wait!"

[たべるな]{LHLL}。"Don't eat (it)!"

[いくな]{LHL}。"Don't go!"

[みるな]{HLL}。 "Don't look!"

[あきらめるな]{LHHHLL}。"Don't give up!"

[やるな]{LHL}。"Don't do it!"

[するな]{LHL}。"Don't do it!"

[べんきょうするな]{LHHHHHHL}。"Don't study!"

... or maaybe you heard Kansai-ben 「待ちいな」(imperative 待ちい + causal end-particle な)?

[まちい]{LHL}+[な]{L}/[さ]{L}/[や]{L}。"Wait!"

[たべえ]{LHL}+[な]{L}/[さ]{L}/[や]{L}。 "Eat!"

[しい]{HL}+[な]{L}/[さ]{L}。/ [せえ]{HL}+[や]{L}。"Do it!"

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.