In XXX case, the app gives an error.

何々をしたら、また何々の場合は、アプリにエラーメッセージを表示する。

これをもっと簡潔に、単純にエラーが起きることを表現したいです。下記のどっちのほうが正しいでしょうか?

1. エラーにする。

2. エラーをする。

エラーをする ("to do an error"?) is ungrammatical regardless of the context. エラーにする can mean "to make/call/consider it an error", but it does not make sense in this context.

Instead, this "gives an error" can be translated like this:

• ~の場合はエラーになる (or エラーになります)
  • ~の場合はエラーが発生する (or エラーが発生します)
  • ~の場合はエラーが起きる (or エラーが起きます)
| improve this answer | |
  • Is it not possible then to 'make an error' in the transitive sense? e.g. "Bob made an error in his calculation". Must we say "An error occurred in Bob's calculation" instead? I'm assuming I could use something like 間違いをする, but I can't use エラー in this case? – user3856370 Dec 12 '19 at 9:41
    @user3856370 間違い as in 間違いをする means "wrongdoing". In this regard, エラー as in エラーをする can only mean "error" as in baseball, not errors in general. – user4092 Dec 12 '19 at 18:57
    @user3856370 In addition to being pretty common in baseball parlance, "エラーをする" can be used, albeit with limitations, in the sense of "make an error" in certain other (technical) registers. (Examples in here and here, both written by highly educated Japanese, and I find them perfectly grammatical.) Another (and probably more common) transitive verb that can be used with "エラー" is "犯す". – goldbrick Dec 14 '19 at 13:19
    @user4092 "Wrongdoing" often describes behavior that is morally/ethically wrong, but I don't think that was the intended meaning when you said "間違い as in 間違いをする means "wrongdoing"", since "間違い" can refer to any kind of mistakes, including moral/ethical ones? – goldbrick Dec 14 '19 at 13:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.