Would "死んでいたそう(ね)" be an appropriate translation for "looks like you almost died (there)"?

Imagine you throw your scarf around your neck and almost hit a person. Except a scarf hardly hurts and actually it was so far away it could have never hit the person. Yet the person looks at you as if you almost killed her/him.

Among the most common and natural-sounding phrases for that type of situations would be:

「死ぬところだったね。」

「死んじゃうところだったね。」

「死ぬかと思ったでしょう?」

I would personally recommend the second one above.

「"死んでいたそう(ね)"」 would not work because it expresses hearsay meaning:

"I hear (someone) was already dead (then)."

| improve this answer | |
  • I wonder if the OP was thinking of 連用形 + そうになる. Could that construction be used naturally here? – user3856370 Dec 6 '19 at 9:13
    If it were 死にそうになった, it would be very natural. – l'électeur Dec 7 '19 at 15:39

I think these might sound funny if said quickly / abruptly

なくならないようにお願い。
死亡しそうだと思った。気を付けてね。
くたばちゃたっら、いけないなのでご注意ね。

| improve this answer | |
    「死亡したそうだと思った」 - do you mean 「死亡しそうだと思った」? – Aeon Akechi Dec 6 '19 at 2:14
    くたばちゃったら いけないなので -- Can you double check you spelled them correctly. – Chocolate Dec 7 '19 at 0:40
  • くたばちゃたっら <- I think you meant to type「くたばちゃたら」(日本語に「(た)っら」っていうのはないです)「いけないので」(not ない+な+ので but ない+ので) – Chocolate Jan 16 at 15:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.