Is 田 usually pronounced as "た" or "だ" in Japanese people's last name? Or is it pretty much 50/50?

• Sounds like a draw between ta and da, but considering that 田 also has exceptions ie 田園調布 (denenchoufu) presumably also surnames may use other readings than "ta" or "da" – Tuomo Nov 30 '19 at 14:09

I have never been taught how to read 田 in surname, but I think in most case the start with 田 in surname such as 田中, 田村, 田口, 田辺, 田島, 田地野, etc. is pronounced as「た」.

And, I think pronouncing the end with 田 in surname as「だ」appearing in 吉田{よしだ}, 山田{やまだ}, 池田{いけだ}, 前田{まえだ} is more common than pronouncing it as「た」appearing in 太田{おおた}, 森田{もりた}, 柴田{しばた}, 藤田{ふじた}, etc.

However, this is not rule. You are simply getting accustomed to pronounce as such.

I don't think the length of surname defines how to read「た」or「だ」such as 宇多{うた}田{だ}, 久保{くぼ}田{た}, 新井{にい}田{だ}, 古{こ}田島{たじま}, 小{お}田{だ}切{ぎり},宇田{うた}川{がわ}, 金田{きんだ}一{いち} etc.

Also, 新田{にった}, 八田{はった}, 治田{はった} ( I think I read this surname as「おさだ」 in most case ) has 促音: geminate consonant.

Lastly, maybe how to read「田」in surname is a bit different depends on the region where you live, but I believe my interpretation is natural in most case.

Reference: 田がつく名字のランキング.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.