(Taken from ジョジョ6部)

「女性受刑者が一名頭部を砕かれ変死をとげたというのに…」

I don't really get the point behind 「一名」in this sentence.

My guess is that the sentence (badly) translates to something like: "And although one/a female prisoner got her skull broken and died an unnatural death..."

So what does 「一名」add to the meaning? Is it used as "count-word", in order to specifically point out that it was one prisoner or is there something wrong with my interpretation of the sentence? Or is it in the end a grammatical necessity?

(To give some context: The sentence (in my opinion) literally states what happened. Due to an incident one prisoner was brutally murdered before above-stated sentence was uttered)

Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/36918/9831 -- Compare 「女性受刑者が一名(変死をとげた)」 and 「ペンが三本(あった)」「子豚が一匹(死んだ)」 – Chocolate Nov 28 '19 at 3:19
  • After reading the article you linked I think I got the general idea here. I assume that「 一名」 is an adverb that specifies "in how many" the prisoners were affected. Now my reamaining question is if the sentence were「一名の女性受刑者...」would the number (one) be stressed? – Himula Nov 28 '19 at 10:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.