In the song Chercher by Kotoko there's the line

心配性{しんぱいしょう}と言{い}われても ハラハラのしどおしよ

And in a subtitled video it gets translated to: "Even if you say I'm a worrier, you're anxious with me"

It all makes sense expect that どおし part... Is it supposed to be 同士{どうし} ? But if so, how come it's written with a different spelling that my IME doesn't acknowledge?

I tried researching this and the best I found is this https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1216623117 but I don't know. Does anyone know what this どおし is supposed to be and why it gets spelt this way?

It is from the verb 「通{とお}す」.

「Verb in 連用形{れんようけい} (continuative form) + 通す」

means:

"to continue [verb]-ing to the end"

In 「しどおし」, the first 「し」 is the 連用形 of the verb 「する」. 「どおし」is the 連用形 of 「通す」. The と-to-ど change is rendaku.

Thus, 「どおし」 has nothing to do with「同士」 -- none.

「通す」 is written 「とおす」 in kana, not 「とうす」.

My TL of the line:

"Even if they call me a natural worrier, I just can't stop feeling uneasy!"

Other examples:

「朝まで飲み通す」 = "to keep on drinking till the dawn"

「9回まで投げ通す」 = "to continue to pitch till the 9th inning"

「仕事をやり通す」 = "to completely finish one's work"

I think the reason for the rendaku is that -どおし is a different pattern than -とおす. – Jerry Fielder Nov 26 '19 at 19:23
    「しどおし」 is a noun here though it is made of two verbs originally. 連用形 often functions as a noun as well. ハラハラ is also used as a noun here though it is originally an onomatopoeia. So, we have 「Noun + の + Noun + sentence-ender よ」, which should make perfect sense unless you are a beginner. Look at the recent question here japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/73236/… and you will find that 泳ぎ (連用形 of the verb 泳ぐ) is used as a noun. The use of onomatopoeias as nouns is a common phenomenon in informal speech. (continued) – l'électeur Nov 26 '19 at 23:55
    We say things like ドキドキが止まらない, このワクワクはあなたのせいよ!, etc. – l'électeur Nov 26 '19 at 23:57
    If you are still "seeing" してよ or しよ at the end after reading my answer, I probably failed completely. I am outta here. – l'électeur Nov 27 '19 at 0:36
    no your answer makes sense lol, thank you! – OtheJared Nov 27 '19 at 16:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.