The following sentence appears on a page in my book:

悪夢から一夜明け、アインのもとで訓練を重ねる日々が始まった。

I think the above から has the meaning of "after"; but the suspicious possibility of the から being a questioning か with the suffix of ら niggles at the back of my mind. So I must ask, is it parsed as から or is it a questioning か + ら suffix?

Secondary Example of ら-Suffix

(Found on Jishio.org)

諸君のたゆまぬ努力と労働によって、ついに我らがアジトが完成した!!

Jishio.org has various definitions on もと, however; I decided the following definition of もと is the most applicable to my sentence based on context (アインのもとで訓練 = ...training under Ein...):

Noun

1. under (guidance, supervision, rules, the law, etc.)​often のもとに or のもとで

Is the reason the dictionary claims のもとで/もと is a noun because the given definition of "under" can be loosely considered a 'place' in the physical direction sense, or is it a cross-language-barrier issue (I.E. considered a noun in one language but not the other)?

ら prefix -- ってどんなのですか? Could you give an example? – Chocolate Nov 24 '19 at 3:14
  • @Chocolate Typo there, but for a example of a ら suffix look at this example sentence I found and will be adding as a second example to my question: 諸君らのたゆまぬどりょく努力とろうどう労働によって、ついにわれ我らがアジトがかんせい完成した!! – Toyu_Frey Nov 24 '19 at 3:20
    「諸君ら」「我ら」の「ら」ね・・・ It's a plural suffix so don't you expect it to appear at the end of a noun? – Chocolate Nov 24 '19 at 3:23
  • @Chocolate Yep, I figured the から wasn't a 'か + ら suffix', but the doubt still niggled at the back of my head. Seems to have stopped with its niggling at the moment, hopefully it will stay that way for the next week or so. – Toyu_Frey Nov 24 '19 at 3:29
    because "under" can be loosely considered a "place" in the physical direction sense, or is it a cross-language-barrier issue <-- Sorry, I don't really understand. Which way would you consider these→「の下に」(under),「の上に」(on),「の横に」(by/beside),「の近くに」(near),「の後で」(after),「の前に」(before), or「のために」(for), etc...? – Chocolate Nov 24 '19 at 3:33

悪夢から一夜明け、アインのもとで訓練を重ねる日々が始まった。

The から is a 助詞(particle), meaning "after~" (or "from~" "since~").

(The plural suffix ら should be attached to a noun or pronoun.)

Is the reason the dictionary claims のもとで/もと is a noun

I don't think they claim のもとで is a noun. They're saying もと (下) is a noun, and that ~のもとで can be used to mean "under~~".

I think you could think of it like this:

「~の+もと+で」 lit. "at + the foot + of~" → "under~"

Compare:
「~の+前+で」 lit. "at + the front + of~" → "before~"
「~の+そば+で」 lit. "at + the proximity + of~" → "by / beside~"
「~の+ため+に」 lit. "for + the sake + of~" → "for~"
(前、そば、ため are nouns.)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.