According to Jisho they both mean "prosperity; flourishing; thriving", but unfortunately it doesn't give any example for 隆盛 and a Google search isn't helpful, I wasn't able to find any discussion about how they differ. I tried Weblio too, but as far as I can understand it I wasn't able to find an entry for 繫盛.

「繁盛{はんじょう}」 and 「隆盛{りゅうせい}」 "feel" quite differently from each other. The former is a household word even 10-year-old kids know how to use, but the latter is a much 'higher' word.

「繁盛」 is most often used to refer to the success/prosperity of a business. If a burger joint has plenty of customers, we would say 「あのハンバーガー屋{や}さんは繁盛している。」. You would sound extremely weird if you used 「隆盛」 to say that.

「隆盛」 is a fairly formal word generally, if not always, used to refer to the prosperity of a (historical) family, clan, empire, etc. Using the everyday word 「繁盛」 in that type of context would simply be out of the question.

You would say, for instance, something like 「ローマ帝国{ていこく}の隆盛と滅亡{めつぼう}」 ("The prosperity and downfall of the Roman Empire")

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.