I've seen this construction a few times but couldn't find it in my textbooks, so I'd like to know how it's called and, if possible, how it works.

Since it was pretty much unclear, here I add some clarifications on what I'd like to know.

Here's an example:

AはBにCに電話された。

How does it work and what's the function of the 2nd に particle? I was told that it works the same way as AはBにVpass as in 私は子供に泣かれた。 This one is understandable. I see the person who got an action done to, I see the doer and I see the action itself. But what about that construction the I mentioned before?

Here's an explanation I got from a guy on the internet:

The 1st に represents relations between В and А

Who made A upset? (Who did a negative action towards A?) Вに

The 2nd に represents an action made by B towards C

To whom B called? Cに

I don't seem to get how those 2 に interact with each other in such a way that makes them have 2 different meanings while being a one part of a simple sentence. Also, I don't understand how to use this construction and what's more how to translate it when a different verb occurs.

I hope I made some clarifications and did not confuse you even more. Looking forward to see some explanations and maybe a couple of examples. Thank you.

Are you certain that the verb was in the passive-voice form ~~された? If possible, could you rewrite the sentence using actual words instead of A, B and C? You may ignore my second question, but my first is very important. – l'électeur Nov 24 '19 at 1:52
    Can you post an actual example of a sentence, from real Japanese source? Because the A, B, C example is a bit confusing. If those are persons AさんはBさんにCさんに電話された doesn't make sense to me. Maybe AさんはBさんにCさんに電話させられた ? A was forced by B to call C ? (And A is almost always me, and I didn't like it) – Thomas Petit Nov 24 '19 at 2:03
  • @l'électeur, yes, a guy from Japanese related chat gave me the original sentence as an example. – Tawahachee Nov 24 '19 at 21:50
  • @Thomas Petit, I assume that It must look like "AさんはBさんにCさんに" but the verb was indeed in passive voice. – Tawahachee Nov 24 '19 at 21:51
    If the verb was really passive voice, then I would say it's just probably a mistake by the person who gave you that line. But I'm not 100% sure, it would be nice to have a confirmation by a native speaker. – Thomas Petit Nov 25 '19 at 7:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.