I have a Japanese assignment that requires me to write about anything I want. I decided that I wanted to write about why I want to learn Japanese. I think the title should be "Why I want to study Japanese"; would 私は日本語を勉強したい理由 work? I am not sure if I am using 理由 correctly here.

「私日本語を勉強したい理由」

This is a nice try, but the 「は」 needs to be replaced by a 「が」. 「は」 is not an option here. Why not?

That is because 「私日本語を勉強したい」 is a relative clause that modifies 「理由」, correct?

Inside if-clauses and relative clauses, the subject/topic marker is always 「が」.

We say:

「ジョーンズさん買った車はBMWです。」

「あなた日本に行くなら、私もいっしょに行きたい。」

The 「が」 in either sentence cannot be replaced by a 「は」. I might even add that this particular mistake in the particle choice sounds more serious to us native speakers than you might think.

Finally, you are using 「理由」 correctly.

• Despite sounding a serious mistake, would it be understood? – Mauro Nov 19 at 14:29
    Yes, I think it would be though it might take some people a second to understand. How quickly it is understood would depend mostly on how much experience one has had with foreigners. – l'électeur Nov 19 at 15:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.