While reading this old question, I began wondering what the て-form without the て (i.e. 書いて→書い、読んで→読ん、行って→行っ) is called in Japanese. Wikipedia calls it 2つ目の連用形. Some other places call it 連用形の促音便形 or 連用形の撥音便形. I'm curious as to what teachers call this when they teach to kids as well as what it's called when discussed in research etc.

A related question is: 書かない→書か、書こう→書こ are both considered 未然形. Is there any way of disambiguating the two other than Wikipedia's 2つ目の未然形?

  • Well, with your second question, historically they were both the 書か form - 書かむ、書かう, 書こう was the progression I believe. – Aeon Akechi Nov 18 '19 at 2:40
  • Sure, but I was wondering if there's a way people distinguish the two nowadays. – Ringil Nov 18 '19 at 2:45
  • 2
    I think 音便形 or some variation thereof is what anyone trying to be clear would call it. Unfortunately I don’t know enough about Japanese education to be able to answer your question though. – Darius Jahandarie Nov 18 '19 at 5:05
  • I am completely sure I’ve seen the term 音便形. At least, it makes sense. – Alexander Z. Nov 18 '19 at 6:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.