In 無情のスキャッツ from 人間椅子, there's the following line, around 2'41":

私の額{ぬか}にも微笑をくれ

The furigana are from the video's subtitles, which are not automatically generated by Youtube, so this is definitely intended by the authors.

I couldn't find any reference confirming that had any readings other than ひたい and がく. Also, I thought it could be a play on word (1) of some kind, but I couldn't find any word that reads ぬか that would make any sense.

What could be the meaning of reading ぬか in this context?

(1) You know, that thing when you attach totally different furigana to a word to express the true meaning of that word in a context, like 地球{ここ}, but I forgot how it's called

ぬか is an old-fashioned reading of 額, which is commonly ひたい today. That information is pretty easy to find if you type in both 額 and ぬか in a search engine.

At the bottom I believe you're talking about 当て字(ateji), but that is not relevant to the 額 question.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ah. I just didn't find it in my dictionary so I thought, let's just ask... I'll look it up next time. Thanks a lot ! – Right leg Nov 16 '19 at 12:15
  • Interestingly enough, that reading is actually still present in 額ずく – Right leg Nov 16 '19 at 12:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.