I was going through the sentences and explanations of "言っておく" when "言っておくと" caught my eye. It repeatedly showed up as an alternative to "言っておくけど". I think けど here is somewhat like "you know" in English. But as for と I really can't think of any usage that could fit in with the sentence. (Not if/when/quotation, definitely not and/with, and then I am baffled...)

言っておくと、私明日来ないからね

言っておくと、あいつ俺の妹だからね。

言っておくけど、ロスでは車が必要だよ。

For anyone who didn't know, 「ロス」 means "L.A." in the last example sentence above. – l'électeur Nov 14 at 14:02

「言っておく、~~~。」

simply means:

"Just so you know, ~~~."

The 「と」 here is a conjunctive particle used to form a light and casual kind of introduction before stating the main point.

Thus, 「言っておく」 and 「言っておくけど」 mean fairly different things from each other in that the latter is used when you want to warn or caution the listener in advance about something that will be stated only a second after.

「言っておくけど」 generally has the nuance of "I've got to warn/tell you beforehand that ~~~."

• I guess this usage of と is not the kind you can find in a dictionary, but obtained through something like 語感/ニュアンス? Anyway, thanks a lot! – Cassandra Nov 14 at 14:03
  • By the way, I saw one more sentence this morning: 外で出てみると、うっすらと雪が積もっていました。I think the と here in the first half of the sentence also means the same thing you mentioned above right? – Cassandra Nov 15 at 3:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.