I was discussing with a friend, who asked me if 忍者 is also used for women, or if くノ一 is used/preferred. I know means "person", so it seems to be neutral; and Weblio defines the word using , which again seems to suggest it can be used for women; but I noticed in Basilisk female characters are called 女忍者.

I wasn't able to find something definite about this: can 忍者 be used for women, or does it sound strange/wrong?

Edit: Another friend of mine said that 忍び is used for men, but weblio doesn't say anithing about that, and it being an abbreviation for 忍びの者 it does seem neutral; not sure if it can also be used for women.

I hate to sound realistic here, but the concept of the female ninja is basically all fictional to begin with. If I am not mistaken (which I do not think I am), there exists no record so far that proves the existence of a female ninja in real life that performed the same tasks as a male ninja such as surveillance and destruction.

That being said, the word 「忍者{にんじゃ}」 can technically refer to both male and female ninjas in fiction, but when the gender is of importance to the story, the words 「女忍者{おんなにんじゃ}」 and 「[くノ一]{くのいち}」 are often used.

The word 「くノ一」 itself is as old as you expect a Japanese word to be, but it has only been several decades since it started to be used to refer to a female ninja in fiction. Before that, 「くノ一」 was only a slang word for 「女」.

「く」, 「ノ」 and 「一」 are the components/strokes of the kanji 「女」. That is in the correct stroke order, too.

In conclusion, 「忍者」, 「忍{しの}び」 and 「忍びの者{もの}」 are all gender-neutral. If the author sees it fit, however, s/he will use 「女忍者」 or 「くノ一」 to refer to a female ninja in fiction.

I'd be curious to know though if there'd been historical cases of women endorsing the role of a ninja. Or any such legend, just like Mulan. – Right leg Nov 13 at 1:03
    @Rightleg According to this, 萬川集海 briefly mentions the existence of female spies, which is unsurprising, but it's far different from today's stereotypical female ninja. – naruto Nov 13 at 8:21
  • @naruto Thanks for the references, it's really enlightening! – Right leg Nov 13 at 8:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.