In this video it is said that "な-adjectives come from Chinese and tend to be written in all kanji or sometimes in hiragana because the original kanji is too complicated." But い-adjectives are written in kanji too, aren't they? (e.g. 楽しい)So, in terms of writing, is there really a principal difference?

Is it true that all な-adjectives come from Chinese? It's rather surprising because some な-adjectives express such common concepts (e.g.元気、賑やか、静か、etc.)...

I mean, right after they say that, they mention しずか, which is not from Chinese, so... – Leebo Nov 12 at 9:51

The answer is no. Some na-adjectives are from Western languages (e.g., スマートな, アバンギャルドな) and some are from native Japanese words (e.g., 朗らかな, 静かな). As an aside, there are also a few i-adjectives coined from English (e.g., エモい, エロい, ラグい), although they are mostly slang.

As for spelling, it is true that the dictionary forms of most na-adjectives are written in all-kanji (e.g., 簡単, 健康), whereas the dictionary form of i-adjectives contain at least い.

Thank you very much! So, if I see an adjective which is all-kanji, than I can be sure that it's of Chinese origin, and if I see a word like 賑やか, then it's likely to be originally Japanese. Is that right? – Enguroo Nov 12 at 10:42
    @Enguroo There can be Japanese-origin words written in all kanji, and so you can also have Japanese-origin na-adjectives written in all kanji. For instance, 下手. – Leebo Nov 12 at 11:05
  • What’s the deal with 頑な? – Igor Skochinsky Nov 12 at 16:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.