Recently I was talking to a friend and the topic of credit cards came up. I asked my friend (xx) if they had a credit card:

ところで、xxはクレジットカードを持ってる?

and got the following response:

そりゃあ持っているでしょう

I'm not too sure what the に at the end means, but searching around the internet it seems to be related to のに. However, sentences that end with のに typically indicate disappointment/regret etc and I don't believe that was the case here. I found this:

あなた、それくらい分かっているでしょうに。 You know that, don't you? この場合の、don't you? に相当するのが、「でしょうに」です。

which seems close in meaning, but it doesn't feel like it's from のに. Any elucidation on this would be helpful.

I asked my friend if they had a credit card ← What were the exact words you used to ask that? IMHO, that would be the key for a productive answer. The reply sounds fairly nuanced; therefore, a good amount of context in the original Japanese would help a ton. A long explanation in English would not. – l'électeur Nov 11 at 11:44
  • @l'électeur Added what I said when I asked.. – Ringil Nov 11 at 13:14

「そりゃあ持{も}っているでしょう。」

For the majority of native speakers, this is not a regular, "calm/relaxed" way to say:

"(Yes,) I have (a) credit card(s)."

That is why I asked above how exactly you asked your question that triggered the use of the highly nuanced and possibly emotional に-ending.

My first impression when I read this question before the edit was that the speaker was slightly irritated or surprised at your question -- "Of course, I have a credit card. Why would you even ask?". That could happen because credit cards are far more common in Japan than what the popular J-vloggers on YouTube seem to want you to believe.

According to goo辞書, 「(よ)うに」 does the following:

★後悔・不満・非難・疑問・感動などを表わす。

That means "expressing regret, dissatisfaction, criticism, doubt, emotion, etc" and this is precisely why I said what I said at the beginning. Your friend's reply is clearly nuanced. A regular, non-nuanced reply would have been along the lines of:

「(ええ、)持ってますよ。」

The difference between that and the actual reply you received is huge.

What one could still not tell is exactly why s/he replied that way. To analyze it, we might need to read the entire conversation that took place, which I will not ask you to show us. As a native speaker, I could just almost hear the silent 「なんでそんな(当たり前の)こと聞くの?」.

Your native ears are pretty good. My friend literally later said having a credit card is 当たり前. – Ringil Nov 12 at 3:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.