So basically, what I want to say is something along the lines of, "He begins his story with a rhyme" or, "He tells a poem and begins his story". What's the word for "tell" here? Is there a verb phrase for this in Japanese?

(By "rhyme" or "poem", I mean something like a "言い習わし" (short Japanese saying), but in the form of a poem. The closest word I could find to it was "散文" and that's why I am using it, but I am open to any suggestions.)

Edit: Can I use,

彼は散文で物語を始めます。

???

散文 is "prose," so, normal sentences that don't have rhymes or rhythmic patterns. Is that what you were imagining? – Leebo Nov 9 '19 at 22:10
  • @Leebo Oh, in that case no, that's not what I had on mind. It's like a long proverb but in the form of a poem, so it does have a rhyme. The problem is that I am translating from Turkish, and the word for it is "tekerleme" there, but it directly translates to "nursery rhyme" and that's not really what I am looking for. – pamuk Nov 10 '19 at 6:37
    @pamuk Unfortunately Japanese doesn't have much proverbs in rhyme. I think you should first explain what it is like, then look for the verb. – broccoli forest Nov 12 '19 at 8:25
  • @broccoliforest That's understandable. Thank you! – pamuk Nov 13 '19 at 11:44

In your case, simple verbs like 語る and 話す should work because the poem is just a part of his story. Or you can avoid any verb corresponding to "tell" and say something like 彼の話は詩から始まりました. (詩で物語を始める is a little puzzling.)

You may not need them, but verbs commonly used with verse/poetry include:

• 語る (this can refer to dramatic storytelling like that of a documentary film)
  • 朗読する ("to recite")
  • 暗唱する ("to recite (from memory)")
  • 歌う/唄う (with melody, like a bard)
  • 詠む (usually for Japanese haiku/waka)

For example, you can say 彼の話はトルコに伝わる詩の暗唱から始まった.

• Thank you very much for your detailed answer, this was very helpful! – pamuk Nov 13 '19 at 11:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.