There is a question in the Kanzen Master N2 Textbook:

この薬は、_____上でお飲みください

a. 食事が終わった

b. 医師が説明した

c. 説明書をよく読んだ

According to the answer sheet, the answer is c.

But I don't understand why a. and b. are wrong.

From what I understand of 上で in this context

A上でB

まずAします。それからB・準備としてまず~してから、その後で次に続く行動をする

Where it is necessary to do A first before doing B, A has significance
for what happens to B

When asking someone else, a sentence was given to me that is natural

お話は食事をした上でお聞きします

If this sentence is correct, why is a. wrong, what is the difference?

• I feel like the answer is in your post. The explanation includes "まずAします". Do either option a or b in the question involve the person performing an action the way that c does? – Leebo Nov 8 at 11:51
  • @Leebo Here's my understanding of a. まず食事をします。それから薬を読んでください。This is stressing the importance of having the medicine after eating the food so I don't see what's wrong there. For b. I suspect it's wrong because the the person doing A and B are different. A (説明する) is the doctor, and B (薬を飲む) is the patient. But I'm not 100% sure about this. – shade549 Nov 8 at 11:58
  • It doesn't say 食事をした though... If it did, the subject of the first half and second half would be the same, but they're not. – Leebo Nov 8 at 12:01
    @Leebo So basically, 上で requires the subject of both halves to be the same? In the case of a. the subject of the first clause is 食事(が終わる), and the second clause is 薬(は飲む). Would this be natural then? この薬は、食事をした上でお飲みください since both subjects are the same. – shade549 Nov 8 at 12:24
    Possible duplicate of japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/27789/… – l'électeur Nov 9 at 16:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.