What is the difference between 初めは and 初めに?

I see that both mean "at first," but it seems like the phrases are not interchangeable.

Thank you for your explanation!

As far as I know, they have different meanings:

初めは At first.

初めに First / To begin with.

初めは is used to show how the state was in the beginning (usually because now the state is different)

初めは彼が好きじゃなかった。 At first, I didn't like him (maybe we are friends now, maybe not).

初めに marks a specific point in time (the beginning) where an action (as opposed to a state) happens.

彼らは5月の初めに大阪に着いた。They arrived in Osaka at the beginning of May.

I also think that 初めに can be used to show the first of a series of arguments that support each other, in the sense of "to begin with". For example, if my girlfriend asks me to buy an expensive, horrible dress for her, I could answer:

初めに、お金がない。To begin with, I have no money (and in addition, the dress is horrible).

Please provide more context or example sentences you tried to make with these words so we can help you with a specific problem. There might be other uses of 初めは and 初めに so if you are specific it's easier to help.

• Thank you very much! Your answer has cleared it up. – Enguroo Nov 6 at 5:53
  • I'm glad it helps. I would wait for more experienced Japanese speakers to give their opinion on this – jarmanso7 Nov 6 at 6:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.