In my textbook it says that to say:

There is a good restaurant in this building.

the translation is:

このたてものにいいレストランがあります。

However, why is が used and not は? Would は be indicating a contrast (for example, a good restaurant exists in this building but not something else, like a shoe store)?

This leads me to a general question about intransitive verbs: it seems that intransitive verbs almost always have が before them so why is が used over は in these cases?

This が is used to introduce a new thing into the discourse. It's one of the most basic functions of が, and I believe you have learned it before. It roughly corresponds to "a" as in "a good restaurant". See: What's the difference between wa (は) and ga (が)?

Would は be indicating a contrast?

The sentence in question has nothing to do with a contrast. It's just a plain sentence that means "There is a good restaurant". If you used は, that would turn the sentence into a contrastive sentence.

このたてものにいいレストランあります。
(Although there is no shoe store / I know you're looking for a bar, but) There is at least a good restaurant in this building.

This makes sense only in a special context.

This leads me to a general question about intransitive verbs: it seems that intransitive verbs almost always have が before them so why is が used over は in these cases?

Transitivity of the verb has nothing to do with the choice between が/は, so you should forget that observation. We can safely say 彼は走った "He ran", for example. (If you saw が used for something that has already been introduced into the discourse, it may be related to neutral description-ga. But it has nothing to do with the original sentence in your question.)

• About は case, If I talked to a friend about some good restaurant before, and we happen to pass in front of the building, can I also say いいレストランはこのたてものにあります, to say "About the good restaurant (that we talked about before) it's in this building" ? – Thomas Petit Nov 6 at 0:48
    @ThomasPetit Basically yes, but if you think your friend may not understand which restaurant you are referring to, you have to describe the restaurant using a relative clause that corresponds to "that we talked about before". – naruto Nov 6 at 1:08
  • @naruto For the sentence この窓からさくらが見えますよ, is が being used to introduce something new in the conversation, namely さくら? – user532874 Nov 6 at 21:13
  • @user532874 Yes, that's right. In English, you would say "You can see cherry blossoms" without 'the', right? – naruto Nov 7 at 23:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.