So it turns out that the Kojiki was (at least to my findings) written in 100% Chinese script, no Japanese. This is because it was written around 700CE, around the time when Japanese script is thought to have started to emerge.

My question is if there are any available Japanese-only scripts online as text format (not PDF or image). Something written ideally with only Katakana and Hiragana, or if not just those, then with a mixture of those plus Chinese characters. I am looking for some of the meaningful early literature of Japan which was written using Japanese script, but I haven't found anything after months of research. Maybe it is because I am not searching on .jp related websites (I don't speak Japanese).

Specifically I am looking for metaphysical sort of stuff (philosophy, religion, poems, etc.), as opposed to historical documents or letters, though if that's all there is that would be fine too.

Some that would work include:

I'm a little confused about what you want. 1. I Am a Cat is a recent work (only 100y old). It it works, it seems to me you're fundamentally asking for any Japanese literature available in text format. But apparently you're not, so what exactly is your criteria? 2. Kanji has always been part of Japanese writing system, so it's unclear what you mean by 'only Katakana and Hiragana'. Are you looking for texts with more yamatokotoba (words native to Japanese)?
    – Yosh
    Nov 4 '19 at 7:04
    Also, aozora.gr.jp is a very good site and is generally trustworthy. It's comparable to Project Gutenberg in Japanese literature, so when you're looking for free, good texts, it's a great place to start digging.
    – Yosh
    Nov 4 '19 at 7:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.