I am having trouble understanding the usage of に in this particular context. I've attached a picture of the sentence「定めに抗い、変革を望む者…」.enter image description here Here's another sentence where I think に is acting in the same way with 「今こそ、この世の歪みの深淵に立ち向かうがいい」. enter image description hereIf anyone can explain it or has a guide to に usages that can be helpful, I thank you in advance.

• Hi - thanks for your first question on Japanese Language Stack Exchange! If you could edit your post to indicate your research effort (e.g. what you think に might mean in this context), then that would help other users to know how best to answer your question/clear up any confusion, as well as make this more than a translation question (which is strictly off-topic; see japanese.stackexchange.com/help/on-topic). – henreetee Nov 1 '19 at 15:34

You're 100% correct that these two instances of に are being used to convey the same thing. In this case, they carry the same meaning as 〜に対して, which in these instances has a sense of "against (something)".

So:

定めに抗い、変革を望む者…
Those who go against the norms/rules, and wish for change...

and

今こそ、この世の歪みの深淵に立ち向かうがいい。
The time is now to confront the abyss of this world's distortedness.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.