I came along a conversation between two characters that have a sort of rivals-to-lovers relationship. There's only two lines of dialogue, but I can't place the meaning.

Person 1: 僕に愛される気あんの?

Person 2: ほら, その気にさせて下さいよ

Which I took to mean

Person 1: Do you feel loved by me?

Person 2: Look, let me care for those feelings

I believe that what's supposed to be conveyed here is that person 1 is questioning either his love for person 2 or her love for him. Then person 2 is somewhat confirming it.

But honestly I'm so lost as to who's feelings are being referenced with "気あんの". I also don't understand who is loving who using the passive form with 愛. In addition, my translation sounds horribly stilted, is there a better way to express this?

「気」here means "feel"/"feeling" in the sense of "to feel like doing something".

行く気がない → to not feel like going
やる気がある → to feel like doing (something)

So

僕に愛される → to be loved by me
僕に愛される気 → feel like being loved by me
僕に愛される気あんの? → "Do you (even) feel like being loved by me?" which sounds more natural as "Do you (even) want to be loved by me?"

In a similar vein, 気にさせる can be used as the causative of 気がある to mean "make (someone) feel like doing (something)"

So

その気にさせる → to make someone feel like doing "that" (being loved by person 1)
その気にさせてくださいよ → "Make me feel like doing that (being loved by person 1)" or more natural-soundingly "Make me feel like being / want to be loved by you"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.